[Opensim-dev] NINJA Physics - patch to allow joints for OpenSim

Paul Fishwick fishwick at cise.ufl.edu
Fri Dec 19 15:08:49 UTC 2008

I'd like to see this in the core as well - as long as someone does not
accidentally
choose the reserved prim names (which seems unlikely), should be good? I
look
forward to trying this out!

nlin wrote:
> 2008/12/19 Mircea Filipescu <mircea_the_kitsune at hotmail.com
> <mailto:mircea_the_kitsune at hotmail.com>>
>
>     I've seen a Youtube video of that and I have to say it looks
>     stunning and awesome. I only have one question about it however:
>     How will that feature be activated client-side for a linkset? The
>     LL client doesn't offer a way to select two prims in a linkset and
>     choose to add such a feature between them.
>

> A specially name typed into the prim's name field
> ("hingejoint-uniqueid" or "balljoint-uniqueid") causes the server to
> recognize it as a joint. Joint bodies are specified by name in the
> joint prim's description field. Unfortunately, you currently have to
> manually ensure all joint and prim names are unique. More details
> here: http://opensimulator.org/wiki/NINJA_Physics
>
> As you say, the LL client doesn't allow adding joints natively
> (interestingly, it used to support such a feature, but this was
> removed; the protocol still contains references to joints). Later, as
> new viewers are developed, we can add custom UI fields for joints.
>

>     My personal belief on this is that such linking should be made an
>     OSSL scripting function, which would also allow other features
>     like turning the flexy bouncing on or off at will and specify
>     properties like hardness, distance and others. So in that way, for
>     a car you would put a script in the wheels and specify in a
>     function in state_entry() how that should be like.
>

> I agree completely that OSSL scripting should also allow specification
> of joints and parameters. I didn't implement anything of the sort yet
> though. The advantage of linking with prim names is that it allows you
> to interactively try out various joint combinations without having to
> fire up a script. It is a bit tedious to type in the names of prims
> manually into the joint prim's description field, but without custom
> GUI support it's about as easy as we can get.
>

>     Anyway awesome idea and congratulations to who made it, it rocks a
>     lot. Can't wait for it to be in :)
>

> Thanks!
> N Lin (nlin / Standard Drucker)

Paul Fishwick, PhD
Professor and Director, Digital Arts and Sciences Programs
University of Florida
Computer & Information Science and Eng. Dept.
Bldg. CSE, Room 301
P.O. Box 116120
Gainesville, FL 32611
Email: fishwick at cise.ufl.edu