[Opensim-dev] NINJA Physics - patch to allow joints for OpenSim

nlin nlin.message at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 12:57:56 UTC 2008

2008/12/19 Mircea Filipescu <mircea_the_kitsune at hotmail.com>

>  I've seen a Youtube video of that and I have to say it looks stunning and
> awesome. I only have one question about it however: How will that feature be
> activated client-side for a linkset? The LL client doesn't offer a way to
> select two prims in a linkset and choose to add such a feature between them.

A specially name typed into the prim's name field ("hingejoint-uniqueid" or
"balljoint-uniqueid") causes the server to recognize it as a joint. Joint
bodies are specified by name in the joint prim's description field.
Unfortunately, you currently have to manually ensure all joint and prim
names are unique. More details here:
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/NINJA_Physics

As you say, the LL client doesn't allow adding joints natively
(interestingly, it used to support such a feature, but this was removed; the
protocol still contains references to joints). Later, as new viewers are
developed, we can add custom UI fields for joints.

> My personal belief on this is that such linking should be made an OSSL
> scripting function, which would also allow other features like turning the
> flexy bouncing on or off at will and specify properties like hardness,
> distance and others. So in that way, for a car you would put a script in the
> wheels and specify in a function in state_entry() how that should be like.

I agree completely that OSSL scripting should also allow specification of
joints and parameters. I didn't implement anything of the sort yet though.
The advantage of linking with prim names is that it allows you to
interactively try out various joint combinations without having to fire up a
script. It is a bit tedious to type in the names of prims manually into the
joint prim's description field, but without custom GUI support it's about as
easy as we can get.

> Anyway awesome idea and congratulations to who made it, it rocks a lot.
> Can't wait for it to be in :)

Thanks!
N Lin (nlin / Standard Drucker)