[Opensim-dev] Mantis#2816 patch and openid

Sean Dague sdague at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 22:23:22 UTC 2008

Mic Bowman wrote:
> So this is really an API that can be used to apply the set of
> identities managed by the user server to other services. A couple more
> places this could be useful... the web interfaces like opensimwi
> currently manipulate the database directly in order to perform
> authentication for account management. Also, the Alan's REST
> interfaces for asses & inventory on the region server currently cannot
> authenticate a specific user in grid mode (there is no API & the User
> server does not hand out the hashed password to the region server in
> grid mode).
>
> The choice of OpenID vs some other API is really just a choice to
> support a fairly standard API rather than invent something new.

Ok, so this is about exposing the OpenSim data to things other than the
client.  That makes a bit more sense from what I saw in the patch.

It would be nice to see an example of how this would be used in the
OpenSim Inventory server, for instance.  But I see how this could be a
good first step in that direction.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague / Neas Bade