[Opensim-dev] Updating assets, revisited

Melanie melanie at t-data.com
Sat Dec 13 11:16:38 UTC 2008

Hello,

after letting various ideas pass before my inner eye, developing a
few concepts and doing a lot of thinking, I come to the conclusion
that assets should, in one special case, be updatable.

That case is attachment editing, where, if we saved the state every
few seconds, as we should, we would be creating obscene amounts of
assets.

Saving attachments on logout is not feasible, the thread context
doesn't live long enough to handle this, so attachments are not
saved on logout. Currently, the only way to save an edited
attachment is to take it off explicitly, then put it back on. If you
are making attachments, you sometimes need to work on the avatar to
make things fit right. Crashing in the middle of that would lose
what is potentially an hour of work.

This is where it think updatable assets make sense. A flag, similar
to the "slam" bit, can be set when an item is given, or put into an
object. It would be reset when a new asset is creted by a
conventional save. In this case, it is guaranteed that the asset is
not shared when the flag is clear (it would be set in freshly
received items). In that situation, asset updating would not impact
any other instances of the object as an inventory item and can be
considered safe. Allowing this asset update would finally let us
handle attachment editing/saving in a reasonable manner.

Thoughts, please?

Melanie