[Opensim-dev] (proposal) QA, Release and other tought

Mike Mazur mmazur at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 01:39:00 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 09:24:21 -0400
Sean Dague <sdague at gmail.com> wrote:

> Honestly, I think any formal manual testing is mostly wasted effort at
> this point.  If these things were part of something automated, that
> would be a different story.

I disagree. If we can get people dedicated to run through some manual
tests at regularly scheduled intervals, I'm sure they can provide
benefits. For instance, it can regularly be confirmed which releases
behave as expected when the tests pass, which is better than the
current "Hey guys, what recent SVN revision was stable so we can tag
0.5.10?"

The key lies in having somebody around who is willing to do this. In
fact, they can get started right away, take a revision they like on a
Friday, run through the tests and post the results on the Wiki. If
after a while they realize nobody cares they'll stop and we'll just end
up where are now.

Having said all that, I'm not going to do it :)

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 17:58:24 +0200
Lc <lcc1967 at gmail.com> wrote:

> yes but no automatic test will find any inventory or assets issues or
> other wearable prims lost in the metagrid...

There are some tasks for which automated tests are difficult to design.
Things like "Does the avatar sit properly on this prim?"

Also, a quick suggestion to your test plan -- you need to remember the
different set ups that people can have: two regions on one machine, two
regions on separate machines, etc. Most tests will need to be performed
on all combinations of setups.

Mike