[Opensim-dev] avatar system or similar

Jani Pirkola jpirkola at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 19:21:05 UTC 2008

Charles,

I understood from Darren and Stefan that OpenSim's target is to be the
server for all kinds of applications. For this goal to happen there would be
own plug-in component for the SL Viewer, own for realXtend, etc. I naturally
agree that the current LL Viewer is the mainstream now and the compatibility
with that can not be broken.

If we follow the plug-in approach for different viewers, then it is no
longer an issue whether realXtend client is compatible with LL Viewer,
right? When using realXtend server, you have a setting whether you run it as
a standard OpenSim or in realXtend mode. I think this is well aligned with
the goals of OpenSim.

Best regards,
Jani