[Opensim-dev] avatar system or similar

Michael Wright michaelwri22 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 14 08:25:44 UTC 2008

I sent a reply to this on friday, but don't think it got through due to the mailing list having problems. So resending it here:

Yes, While the focus of opensim core is and will continue to be the LL Viewer,  that doesn't stop it supporting other clients that are not LL viewer compatible.  That is in fact one of the aims of opensim, and has been for a long time.

I think we most likely need some a few more architectural changes in opensim before we can achieve this in a nice easy clean manor. But with the ClientViews and Region Modules, we should have the foundation for doing this.

Actually having another client that could be used with opensim by just setting some different modules as the ones opensim will use for client communications. Would be a good test of whether our goal of supporting different clients works or not.

In the end I think the various clients will be mostly compatible, like web browsers are meant to be compatible now. But most likely in the short term, thats not really realistic, as different clients will want to add new features and sometimes that means breaking that compatibility.

With OpenViewer while its initial aim is to be LL compatible, I certainly want it to support plugins so new features could be added. And I expect when those plugins are running, it might not be LL compatible. So when using it with OpenSimulator, there would be modules loaded into the region server to support those extra features.

I think as a number of people have often repeated here, there is never really going to be one installation/version of opensim that meets all needs. The aim is to offer a common core that people can take and adapt to their needs. Hopefully one day there will be hundreds of different modules that various people have wrote.

Jani Pirkola <jpirkola at gmail.com> wrote: Charles,

I understood from Darren and Stefan that OpenSim's target is to be the server for all kinds of applications. For this goal to happen there would be own plug-in component for the SL Viewer, own for realXtend, etc. I naturally agree that the current LL Viewer is the mainstream now and the compatibility with that can not be broken.

If we follow the plug-in approach for different viewers, then it is no longer an issue whether realXtend client is compatible with LL Viewer, right? When using realXtend server, you have a setting whether you run it as a standard OpenSim or in realXtend mode. I think this is well aligned with the goals of OpenSim.

Best regards,
Jani

2008/4/11, Charles Krinke <cfk at pacbell.net>: I think we have to consider here that the secondlife LL viewer is the mainstream client. Currently this is 1.19.1.4 and keeping compatibility with the current LL Viewer is very important.

I hope to begin testing the OpenViewer soon on OpenSim sims. There are a few folks that have mentioned the RexClient. But, the SecondLife official client is the mainstream. All other clients, including OpenViewer and RexClient are secondary in interest at this point.

So, I would urge you to consider making compatibility of the RexClient to the LL Viewer to be a priority and urge you to keep compatibility with OpenSim as you move forward.

Charles