[Opensim-dev] how many users is too many?

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue Sep 25 14:38:41 UTC 2007

On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 07:14:00PM +0900, Jeff Ames wrote:
> I've heard that OpenSim has supported around 20 or so users online
> simultaneously before, although I don't know if that's really an upper
> limit, or just how many people happened to be around.  But I was
> wondering what it would take to push that up to, say, 100 or so.
> (More would be great, of course, but at some point the client would
> probably break down and revert to text adventure mode.)
>
> Is there a known bottleneck server-side, like handling incoming
> requests fast enough to avoid resent packets, bandwidth to maintain a
> connection, calculating all the avatar-avatar physics, memory for
> avatar state, speed of database access, etc.?

Honestly, I don't think anyone has any ideas where the limits are right
now.  OpenSim is still in the early feature addition phase, so there
hasn't been any work on optimization, tuning, or benchmarking yet.

If you do some experiments in those areas, please post your results, I'm
sure lots of people would be interested.

     -Sean