[Opensim-dev] how many users is too many?

Jeff Ames jeffames at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 10:14:00 UTC 2007

I've heard that OpenSim has supported around 20 or so users online
simultaneously before, although I don't know if that's really an upper
limit, or just how many people happened to be around.  But I was
wondering what it would take to push that up to, say, 100 or so.
(More would be great, of course, but at some point the client would
probably break down and revert to text adventure mode.)

Is there a known bottleneck server-side, like handling incoming
requests fast enough to avoid resent packets, bandwidth to maintain a
connection, calculating all the avatar-avatar physics, memory for
avatar state, speed of database access, etc.?

Jeff