[Opensim-dev] Threading strategy

Tleiades tleiades at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 23 09:39:43 UTC 2007

Hi

I have created a new page on the wiki, outlining the threading strategy, or lack thereof.

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OpenSim:Threading_strategy

I think we should streamline our use of threads. I am especially concerned about the way threads are used in the ClienView, where a thread is used per client. One thread per connection is the classical way of handling several clients connecting to a single server, unfortuantely this frequently leads to a scenario where hundreds, if not thousands of threads execute in one process. I would suspect that the user, asset and grid servers will have a large number of connections, consequently we need to think ahead, and plan for good scalability in those server modules.

I would propose that we generally switch to a strategy similar to the one used in BaseHttpServer, relying on the thread pool.

/tleiades