[Opensim-dev] clients, agents, avatars, ODE

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu Sep 20 12:29:58 UTC 2007

On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 06:23:55AM +0200, Stefan Andersson wrote:
> Of course that sounds reasonable, I was just reflecting over the fact that
> PhysicalScene.AddAvatar( pos ) creates a _new_ physActor everytime; but
> PhysicalScene.RemoveAvatar( physActor ) just detaches it.

Well that sounds like an interface bug to me :)  Either those both need
to act on references or both on copies.  Is there some other reason I
don't know about that it is that way?  Or it is an artifact of history.

> On one hand, I don't think you have to 'know the inner works' but on
> the other hand, you shouldn't be afraid to 'follow the code' and muck
> about in the core;

Unfortunately, right now, you really need to swallow a lot of the core
to understand much.  This isn't specific to physics.  Ways in which we
can get the base code into more grey boxes where you don't really need
to understand it all to make progress is a good thing. :)  MW was
spending a lot of time on this prior to 0.4, which was really great.

	-Sean