[Opensim-dev] so many dll's, so little time

Michael Wright michaelwri22 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Oct 17 13:39:59 UTC 2007

I agree, that we should move to REST for backend server comms (ie grid server <-> userserver etc) and for region server to backend server comms.

But I think we should continue to use .net remoting for inter region comms, although the current inter region code (like nearly all our comms code) needs a lot of work, http based system has proved in the past (we used to use one) that it causes to many problems for things like broder crossing.

Also we will still need to use XML-RPC for login, as thats what the client uses.

As I have mentioned before the XML-RPC library we use, is the one that libsl used to use when the opensim project was first started. So thats why we use it. Then after a while as libsl was only using it for login, they dropped the use of it and actually wrote their own xml-rpc login handling code rather than using any external library. But I believe that was too hard coded so lead to problems, so they started using the other xml-rpc library (xml-rpc.net). I certainly think we should switch to that library as well, even if we are only using it for login.

Tleiades Hax <tleiades at gmail.com> wrote:

 10/17/2007  01:47 AM            40,960 XMLRPC.dll
I have a mail on the mailing list regarding this one too. I believe that it is some kind of early version or derivative work of  http://xmlrpccs.sourceforge.net/ there is a match on namespace used, and the functionality, except for the signature of one method call. Due to the decision we made yesterday about moving away from XML-RPC towards REST, that way all OpenSim code depending on this dll will be gone. The SLProxy tool from libsl has a dependency on this dll.