[Opensim-dev] Usage of trimeshes, was: Open Mantis issue, already incorporated

Dünnebeil Gerhard Gerhard.Duennebeil at arcs.ac.at
Sat Oct 6 14:55:04 UTC 2007

Hi

>> There's code for this in the client, but of course that's GPL and cannot be

I looked into the viewer code and can't find it there.
Maybe someone with can hint me to that. Personally I believe that they use OpenGL for that, so we can't access that for physics usage.
And yes, there is that issue of GPL ....

>> Otherwise I expect this to be a long and laborious process.

In the meantime I gave that a lot thinking and came to the conclusion, that the trimeshing itself is only a small part of the problem.
It seems more to boil down to geometric operations between polygons:
Start with the simple surface, subtracts cuts from it, subtract hollows from that and finally make a transformation that takes tapering and all other deformations into account.

Currently I'm looking for a good geometry library to use for that; my prim candidate is a lib named CGAL.

Any opinions, comments on that?

best regards
Gerhard