[Opensim-dev] Usage of trimeshes, was: Open Mantis issue, already incorporated

dan miller danbmil99 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 6 17:53:01 UTC 2007

[dan re: trimeshing]
> >> There's code for this in the client, but of course that's GPL and
> cannot be
>
> I looked into the viewer code and can't find it there.
> Maybe someone with can hint me to that. Personally I believe that they use
> OpenGL for that, so we can't access that for physics usage.

Well I don't know if OpenGL does it directly; it has GLE, an add-on which
does some of that sort of thing.  I believe GLE is GPL, so again it would be
out.

> In the meantime I gave that a lot thinking and came to the conclusion,
> that the trimeshing itself is only a small part of the problem.
> It seems more to boil down to geometric operations between polygons:
> Start with the simple surface, subtracts cuts from it, subtract hollows
> from that and finally make a transformation that takes tapering and all
> other deformations into account.

I think you're right.  I use the term 'trimeshing' to mean the whole thing;
the geom ops plus delaunay or whatever triangulation algorithm is used.

> Currently I'm looking for a good geometry library to use for that; my prim
> candidate is a lib named CGAL.

That looks great from the top page; the only worry is this "Q" license, I've
never heard of that.  We have other LGPL stuff in already I believe.

-danx0r