[Opensim-dev] A couple more ODE changes to help stability..

dan miller danbmil99 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 5 21:07:16 UTC 2007

> > 1.   Lets put the FPS, back at 250fps for now.  I'll re-tweak the avatar

> +1.  I assume this will be done at the physics manager level so all
> engines see it the same.

No this has to be engine-specific.  Each engine will have its own preferred
internal stepsize.  What Teravus really means is stepsize = 0.004 rather
than 0.01

> > I'll update my patch to include 1,2,3. ..   however for 4..     we'll
> have
> > to make a routine which upscales the array and averages the four
> > closest.
>
> Someone said they had a routine that nearly did that.  Can't remember
> who.

I am not convinced this will help much, and it could impact performance.
Maybe worth a try, but the terrain problems go deeper than just smoothing
out the terrain by upsampling.

I think we can fix the bouncing problems by tweaking avatar movement code
and contact parameters.  So far I haven't seen an issue with the avatar not
at the correct height wrt the visual terrain.

-dan