[Opensim-dev] Asset Server Rest Interface

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Sat Nov 3 15:01:56 UTC 2007

On Sat, Nov 03, 2007 at 01:48:52PM +0000, Michael Wright wrote:
> The one thing we need to keep in mind when thinking about adding
> auth/permissions etc on these asset interfaces. It that more and more
> of the Asset and inventory things are moving to CAPS, I'm not actually
> sure, if in the last few versions, the SL has started to use CAPS for
> texture downloads (it didn't about a month or two ago). But it
> certainly (can) use CAPS for texture uploads and other asset
> uploads/changes.
>
> We do in opensim, actually use CAPS for some of these things; like
> texture uploads. Its just our caps handlers are stuck on the region
> server which then forwards the requests onto the asset server. So we
> don't really get the benefit of what CAPS is meant to bring. We need,
> in the future is to move those CAPS handlers, for those services, onto
> the backend servers. So the servers (or some proxy) deal directly with
> the client requests.  (and I'm not saying we should do it now, think
> we need to get the base asset system working correctly first)

For the ignorant amoung us (especially me) could you give some
background on CAPS.  What it is, how it works, and any early ideas on
how it would apply here?  As we know it is a future we need here it
would be good to ensure that anything we are doing allows for it.

> But what I'm trying to say is any auth we add on the current "Region
> fetches assets and sends back to the client" system, may not be
> relevant to the direct client- server CAPS system.

Right, exactly the kinds of things I was hoping the discussion would
draw out. :)

      -Sean