[Opensim-dev] Asset Server Rest Interface

Michael Wright michaelwri22 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Nov 3 13:48:52 UTC 2007

The one thing we need to keep in mind when thinking about adding auth/permissions etc on these asset interfaces. It that more and more of the Asset and inventory things are moving to CAPS, I'm not actually sure, if in the last few versions, the SL has started to use CAPS for texture downloads (it didn't about a month or two ago). But it certainly (can) use CAPS for texture uploads and other asset uploads/changes.

We do in opensim, actually use CAPS for some of these things; like texture uploads. Its just our caps handlers are stuck on the region server which then forwards the requests onto the asset server. So we don't really get the benefit of what CAPS is meant to bring. We need, in the future is to move those CAPS handlers, for those services, onto the backend servers. So the servers (or some proxy) deal directly with the client requests.  (and I'm not saying we should do it now, think we need to get the base asset system working correctly first)

But what I'm trying to say is any auth we add on the current "Region fetches assets and sends back to the client" system, may not be relevant to the direct client- server CAPS system.

Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote: I wanted to kick off some scribling about the specifics of the REST
interface for the asset server, to get as many eyes looking at this as
possible.

In the early stack today we have:

GET /assets/UUID - returns that asset
POST /assets     - pushes an asset, UUID taken from XML

I think that we should move to a url interface more like:

GET /assets/by-uuid/UUID
DELETE /assets/by-uuid/UUID
POST   /assets/by-uuid/UUID - this is an update call
PUT /assets/new             - asset server creates new UUID, returns
                              object in the response stream to get
                              asset server allocated UUID

The next thing that I think we need to figure out is some level of auth
on the /assets/.  Today, anyone can do anything, obviously wrong.
However, what is the right answer here?

Should we have trusted regions?  Should the asset server ask the grid
server about a region on each request?  Should we move permission bits
into assets, and should those be user or region based?

Comments encouraged.

    -Sean