[Opensim-dev] Asset Server Rest Interface

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Sat Nov 3 13:36:55 UTC 2007

I wanted to kick off some scribling about the specifics of the REST
interface for the asset server, to get as many eyes looking at this as
possible.

In the early stack today we have:

GET /assets/UUID - returns that asset
POST /assets     - pushes an asset, UUID taken from XML

I think that we should move to a url interface more like:

GET /assets/by-uuid/UUID
DELETE /assets/by-uuid/UUID
POST   /assets/by-uuid/UUID - this is an update call
PUT /assets/new             - asset server creates new UUID, returns
                              object in the response stream to get
                              asset server allocated UUID

The next thing that I think we need to figure out is some level of auth
on the /assets/.  Today, anyone can do anything, obviously wrong.
However, what is the right answer here?

Should we have trusted regions?  Should the asset server ask the grid
server about a region on each request?  Should we move permission bits
into assets, and should those be user or region based?

Comments encouraged.

    -Sean