[Opensim-users] how hard is it to add nested linksets or equivalent

Dahlia Trimble dahliatrimble at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 22:30:39 UTC 2019

Much of the code in Opensimulator assumes a single level linkset. The main
structures are SceneObjectGroup and SceneObjectPart. I remember Ubit once
mentioning he thought some clever manipulation of these structures could
allow more levels of hierarchy but I can't remember exactly what he was
saying. I'd think the changes would be significant and would touch many
parts of the code if such a modification were attempted.

Other considerations is how it might fit into the protocols and if the
viewers can support it.

With the advent of mesh, it's easier to make a complex looking object, such
as the above mentioned wheel, out of a single SceneObjectPart. This should
reduce the need for multi-level composite objects. One way may be to have a
module which converts a linkset into a single mesh. I believe Misterblue
has some code which can do this but I don't know if he's tried to use it in
this manner.

It's also worth mentioning that more game modern programming techniques
(entity-component-system, data-oriented design) work much better with
single levels and modern games don't use hierarchical object trees as much
as they used to.