[Opensim-users] Question - About avatar UUID

Chris mewtwo0641 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 04:33:11 UTC 2018

The biggest pro in keeping your prior UUID that I can think of is, if
you have backed up your inventory and/or regions via IAR and OAR files
respectively, is the assurance that the things that you've created will
maintain their proper permissions relative to the UUID that created
them. Else when you restore your inventory and regions it is highly
likely that you will end up with the wrong permissions on your own items
if you didn't think to full perm ahead of time (And even that isn't a
guarantee given the finicky-ness of the permissions system in OpenSim)
because OpenSim will see your new UUID as technically a completely
different person and as such applies the "Next Owner" perms to your items.

I can't really think of a major con for keeping your prior UUID aside
from possibly cache issues between grids where you've chosen to keep the
old one in cases of running multiple grid instances with different
databases but same UUID. Which is pretty easily remedied by clearing
your viewer cache before switching grids.