[Opensim-users] Problems with teleporting in grid mode from simulator, instance to another instance? (Ferd)

Chris mewtwo0641 at gmail.com
Wed May 24 00:56:46 UTC 2017

The router I am using is a NETGEAR WNDR3700v4; Gigabit router. It's not
using stock firmware though as I have replaced it with DD-WRT v24-sp2
(04/01/15) std.

Initially the DD-WRT firmware didn't support loopback out of the box so
I had to enable it with a firewall rule as per the DD-WRT wiki on
enabling loopback connections:

insmod ipt_mark
insmod xt_mark
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i ! `get_wanface` -d `nvram get
wan_ipaddr` -j MARK --set-mark 0xd001
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -m mark --mark 0xd001 -j MASQUERADE

Note that the loopback has been enabled in this fashion the entire time
I've been having these problems. But I don't know if it's because I have
it enabled like this that it's a problem or... The router just doesn't
fully support loopback hardware-side... I would assume that if it didn't
then it would just not work 100% of the time instead of sometimes it
works fine and sometimes it just hates me which the latter seems to be
my case lol.

Running through my config files I have come up with these settings:

For my regions the Region.ini files follow this pattern:

[Monte Cristo]
RegionUUID = ded5de05-aef9-4c07-a08c-b317c025c0b0
Location = 1000,1000
InternalAddress = 0.0.0.0
InternalPort = 9000
AllowAlternatePorts = False
ExternalHostName = 68.1.XXX.XXX

For OpenSim.ini on each simulator:

[Const]
     BaseURL = http://127.0.0.1
     PublicPort = "8002"
     PrivatePort = "8003"

I'm using local host for this configuration because everything all runs
on the same machine; And selectively expose the services needed to
operate over WAN with the WAN address such as map tile URL, login
services etc. But things like asset services, inventory services, etc
use local host so that requests for these things don't go out over WAN
only to be told that they need to come right back home for the services
(There is quite a bit of latency when this happens I've observed; Thus
my using local host for these things)

For GridCommon.ini on each simulator:

[GridInfo]
     GridInfoURI = "http://68.1.XXX.XXX:8002"

Everything else is left as (Config Name) =
"${Const|BaseURL}:${Const|PrivatePort}" or (Config Name) =
"${Const|BaseURL}:${Const|PublicPort}"

In Robust.ini:

[Const]
     BaseURL = "http://127.0.0.1"
     PublicPort = "8002"
     PrivatePort = "8003"

Using local host in the same manner as OpenSim.ini

In Robust.ini LoginService section MapTileURL = "http://68.1.XXX.XXX:8002/"

In Robust.ini GridInfoService section login = http://68.1.XXX.XXX:8002/

Everything else is left as (Config Name) =
"${Const|BaseURL}:${Const|PrivatePort}" or (Config Name) =
"${Const|BaseURL}:${Const|PublicPort}"

For what it's worth I have also tried with BaseURL = http://LAN IP,
BaseURL = http://WAN IP, and BaseURL = http://FQDN instead of local
host. Not those values literally but the respective values that would be
there in an actual configuration. But the issue still persists in all
those cases.

It's a very random issue though. I can connect fine and every one else
can connect fine through WAN and everything works. Teleports seem to be
about a 50/50 chance of success.