[Opensim-users] [Non-DoD Source] Re: Native FBX Support

Maxwell, Douglas CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) douglas.maxwell3.civ at mail.mil
Mon Mar 20 18:07:29 UTC 2017

@Cinder - each successive training scenario we develop using the Open Simulator platform tries to improve over the previous scenarios.  It would be helpful to be able to upload our work into MOSES/Halcyon directly from Maya or 3DSMax without the intermediary step of converting to Collada.

You are right about the license; Need to be careful.  I took a quick look and the fbx files can be treated like a black box.  We don't need to know the specifics of what's in the files to be able to extract the vertices, vertex indices, normals, UV coords, materials and animations using the FBX SDK.  (This is good news.)  It may explain how Blender is able to work with FBX successfully.

Douglas Maxwell, Ph.D.
Science and Technology Manager
Virtual World Strategic Applications
U.S. Army Research Lab
Human Research & Engineering Directorate
(c) (407) 242-0209<tel:%28407%29%20242-0209>
________________________________
From: owner-moses-list at lists.mitre.org [owner-moses-list at lists.mitre.org] on behalf of Cinder Roxley [cinder at alchemyviewer.org]
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2017 12:24 PM
To: Maxwell, Douglas CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US); opensim-users at opensimulator.org
Cc: moses-list at lists.mitre.org
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: Native FBX Support

All active links contained in this email were disabled. Please verify the identity of the sender, and confirm the authenticity of all links contained within the message prior to copying and pasting the address to a Web browser.

I guess it depends on what you mean by native. On the server side, everything is stored as raw vertices. I haven’t heard of anybody replacing that, plus FBX restrictive’s license may jeopardize the BSD license in OpenSim.

On the viewer front, I have work in progress FBX exporter/importer for Alchemy Viewer. I just haven’t had the time to finish it. As an Autodesk user, I find it much more convenient to use FBX as converting FBX to a COLLADA that the vanilla importer doesn’t choke on can be time consuming.

--
Cinder Roxley
Sent with Airmail