[Opensim-users] My planned server build - suggestions?

Erik Gordon Bainbridge tamrider at frodo.tv
Mon Oct 19 16:17:01 UTC 2015

One of my grid members has donated funds for me to buy parts to build a new server. I'm preparing to order the parts and I'm hoping that those of you who are knowledgeable about server configuration can offer advice or comments about my planned build and whether there are problems with any of my choices of components..

I built my current server using a consumer motherboard and i7.  For my new server, I want to use a server motherboard, ECC RAM, and a Xeon.

I have three particular needs: it must be power efficient, quiet (it runs 24/7 in my bedroom), and operate without air conditioning on hot summer days (rarely over 85F/29C indoors).  My current server has been running 24/7 for 4 years with no problems in these temperatures, but I don't know about Supermicro board and Xeon tolerances.  However Supermicro does specify ambient temperatures up to 95F/35C for its workstations with the X10 motherboard.

My current planned purchases:
CPU: Xeon E3-1276 v3 Haswell 3.6GHz BX80646E31276V3
motherboard: Supermicro X10SLH-F uATX LGA 1150
memory: Crucial 32GB (8GBx4) DDR3 PC3-12800 Unbuffered ECC 1.35V CT4486296 (CT102472BD160B)
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-U14S
PSU: SeaSonic SSR-450RM 450W 80 PLUS GOLD Certified
case: Lian Li PC-7B plus II Aluminum ATX Mid Tower

I'll use WD Black or Enterprise drives I currently own.

There's a possible issue with the Noctua CPU cooler.  Its 300rpm low speed (PWM) is known to cause problems on Supermicro boards, which assume higher speed fans. I've read that ipmiutil or ipmitool can be used to correct it, and one Amazon reviewer claims that simply using a 3 pin adapter solves it. I'm still researching this.

My OS is OpenSUSE.

I appreciate any suggestions or comments.   Thanks in advance!