[Opensim-users] Singularity - Object Export - Built in Texture Handling

Ethan Grammatikidis eekee57 at fastmail.fm
Sat May 9 13:33:51 UTC 2015

On Fri, 08 May 2015 14:25:49 +0100
Ai Austin <ai.ai.austin at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am not quite sure where to send this suggestion... as opposed to a
> bug report.. but in the hope that the Singularity viewer folks might
> see this mailing list...
>
> I note that when objects are exported to Collada DAE or 3D OBJ the
> textures that are allowed to be exported do not include the standard
> built in ones that a re VERY commonly included in objects.
>
> Blank Texture
> Default (Plywood) Texture
> Default media Texture
> Default Trabsparent Texture
>
> all of which have a standardized UUID and all of which are open
> source.  Not including these means that any object intended for
> export has to be changed to include your own fresh versions of these
> items.. which for complex objects is a LOT of work.  I know, I just
> did that to get a simple build out from OpenSim for use in HiFi and
> it took ages and needed multiple attempts to find all the faces with
> those 4 built in textures on them.
>
> Can I suggest that these 4 items should be exported as if hey are
> fully accessible as if the exporter was creator?

Kokua is half-way there. It recognizes the default texture and handles
it properly. It recognizes the blank texture as exportable, but
bundles it as any regular texture in the .obj file, which is wasteful.
I don't understand why it would properly handle one of these but only
half-recognize another. I don't even know if the half-recognition is
because I export from a non-SL grid.

I also don't understand why Kokua throws away repeat and transparency
information when it can't find the texture. That's grotesque and
absurd, but then so much of modern programming is. I blame
object-oriented design; it seems to encourage clumping together things
which are only very superficially related.