[Opensim-users] Fw: Load OAR --default-user

Thomas Ringate tringate at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 22:53:33 UTC 2015

I think I found a bug in how the OAR --default-user parameter is being used by opensim.  I tried using a name that had the first letter of the first and last name upper case, however the LOAD OAR function says that user can not be found.  I then changed the name to have all lower case letters in the LOAD OAR command and it worked.

The problem is the user really is registered with the first letters of each name as upper case.  I tried to log in using the name with all lower case, and opensim fails that login name.  The problem is the LOAD OAR command is apparently changing all letters in the string to be lower case for the registered name but testing for the actual entered name in the LOAD OAR command.  The correct operation I would think would be to preserve whatever case is in either field so no matter what actual name was used it would only match that name and be case sensitive.  In any case, opensim has a problem with case sensitive names because it is not consistent in how the different functions look for a registered name.  I discovered trying to create  a user of an existing user with mixed case finds the existing user using a case insensitive process and says the user already exists.  opensim should be consistent in user names in terms of case sensitivity.  Most people do use upper case for the first letter of their proper names.

The name “New User”, and “new user” are not the same name, but LOAD OAR treats them as if they are, LOGIN does not and treats them as if they are two unique names, CREATE USER treats them as the same name but let you register either one retaining the case enter.  This is very inconsistent since other commands and functions use the user name and there should be a single correct way for all parts of the program to work with the actual registered user name that exists in the database.

Am I missing something in how the user name is suppose to work?

Tom