[Opensim-users] Hosting a medium-sized grid

Jeff Kelley opensim at pescadoo.net
Fri Sep 19 23:37:37 UTC 2014

At 6:57 PM -0400 19/9/14, Michael Emory Cerquoni wrote:

>chances are even if you had 128gb ram, linux would allocate most of it and on
>the surface it will look like its being used,
>but the cache is low priority and anything
>requiring more memory will instantly take from the cache pool, so yes you have
>5.2gb available for the system to use still.

Ah ok. That's the « Linux ate my ram » story. It
allocates as much cache as it can then releases
it when needed. So the available 5.2G will be
mainly for the asset cache, until some process
claims more memory. 16Gigs seems enough, however
I will feel better with some spare RAM for future
extensions.

Thanks Dahlia, thanks Michael.

-- Jeff