[Opensim-users] Question about MySQL users and multiple OS databases

Chris mewtwo0641 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 18:14:26 UTC 2014

Yeah I thought as much on the root access question but I thought I'd ask
:) However, the machine I was thinking I'd potentially configure for
root access is cut off from the outside world; inaccessible except from
within my own network. My other server (different physical machine) is
accessible however and I'd never configure that with root access.

Thanks a lot for your input :)

On 9/14/2014 3:12 AM, Luisillo Contepomi wrote:
> El 14/09/2014 a las #4, Chris escribió:
>> theoretical security concerns
> Hello Chris,
>
> Someone said root access?
>
> <paranoid_mode=on/>
>
> Is not theoretical issue is real big security problem.
>
> I am assuming you have a connected server to Internet and is not a
> home network.
> The short answer is "No". Never use root password for a service
> accessible by anyone from outside. Never.
>
> A user for all databases?:
> Yes, Why not?
>
> Add some additional security to your database server.
> Strong Username/password credentials
> Setup your MySQL server in other port than 3306
> Setup your MySQL server for allow connections from some configured hosts.
> Setup your Firewall tables database server  port for accept only from
> configured IPs
>
> /"May the Force be with you"
>
> Best regards,
> Luisillo
> /

> Este mensaje no contiene virus ni malware porque la protección de
> avast! Antivirus <http://www.avast.com/> está activa.

OpenSim: 10 Region Standalone on 0.7.6 Dev
Physics: Open Dynamics Engine
OS: Windows 7 (x64)
CPU: AMD FX 8320 8-Core 3.5 GHz
Memory: 16 GB DDR3