[Opensim-users] Vivox voice: No voice chat on one PC but voice call OK

Erik Gordon Bainbridge tamrider at frodo.tv
Thu Nov 13 00:47:19 UTC 2014

I'm setting up Vivox on a 32 region grid I'm building for a client and I'm having a maddening problem getting Vivox voice chat to work on one of my testing computers.

I'm testing on two PC's, with an avatar in Firestorm on each.  They can do voice calls to each other, but voice chat works on only one of the PCs.  The same thing happens with Singularity.  As far as I can tell, viewer and firewall settings are the same on both PC's.   I turned off the firewall on the problem PC but it didn't help.  They are running on the same network and router.

Assuming that firewall and and viewer settings are the same, is there anything else that would cause voice chat to consistently fail on one PC but work without a problem on a PC sitting right next to it, and despite the fact that voice calls are working OK on both PC's?

It's not a grid configuration issue.  I'm having the same problem in Second Life.  I just didn't notice it until now.  I built this computer a few months ago.

The PC with  the problem has an MSI Z87-GD65 motherboard and is running Win 8.1  I've already had one compatibility issue with this motherboard and I've had to RMA one motherboard, so I'm suspicious.

The PC without a problem has a four year old Asus Sabertooth X58 motherboard and is running Win 7.  It's never had any compatibility issues.

Thanks,

Erik Gordon Bainbridge   (SL & OS: Apollo Manga)
Author, virtual worlds builder
www.VirtualMarin.com
www.ErikBainbridge.com
www.linkedin.com/in/egbainbridge