[Opensim-users] Hoping for a fearless comparison of opensim vs unity 3D

Tom tom.willans at bessacarr.com
Sat Jul 19 16:45:56 UTC 2014

At the Serious Games Institute the predominant development is done using Unity. This has the advantage that games can be run on mobile environments or that you can use the same developers to develop mobile and non-mobile applications.  Whilst people can interact in these environments one seem to have the same level of interaction in terms of adapting and changing objects.  One for instance involves asking questions of roman citizens or going around a school where fire safety issues are simulated, including burning buildings etc. Unity is therefore used for far more than advertising material or promotional materials and is very popular for the production of indie games. OpenSim and SL really do not make very good gaming environments but great collaborative environments.

For many educational uses adapting and changing objects is not needed.  Unity also does not have a server environment to any great extent. For large multiuser environments people tend to link it with smart fox as a backend and I understand that Smartfox is now making this easier than when I considered it. And yes I agree with Wade about the scalability.

I adopted OpenSim for my research primarily because of the ease in terms of setting up the collaborative environment and building artefacts without professional skills. Unity as it comes does not have this built in. However it is very limited in the platforms it runs on. It will not run on tablets or mobiles - yes there is an android browser but compared to an unity game the quality is very limited indeed. We are in an age of mobile and augmented reality I would love to have a version that works on a tablet rather than being ties to a quite powerful PC or laptop.

There are a lot of mesh objects available for sale at a reasonable price, at least for any institution wanting to invest in a robust educational solution or using educational technologists.

I think that Opensim really needs to adapt to be usable on a wider range of platforms, mobile, tablet and web to maintain relevance. Maybe it is time to start thinking of the next generation OpenSim?

It really comes down to focusing upon what your needs are.