[Opensim-users] Hoping for a fearless comparison of opensim vs unity 3D

Ai Austin ai.ai.austin at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 10:00:50 UTC 2014

I am not an export in Unity and really just followed a tutorial book
to learn about it a little..

Unity Game Development Essentials by Will Goldstone

and then I added in the multi-user MMO building demo.tutorial for SmartFox.

http://virtualautonomy.com/blog/index.php/2009/12/31/unity-3d-a-quick-and-easy-guide-to-creat

I am sure that with enough effort pretty much anything is possible in
Unity3D... so long as the scale of the user numbers is manageable in
terms of the underlying multi-user support you employ.   SmartFox
gives a free licence for up to about 50 simultaneous users and that's
the one I used most and its also used by others such as Jibe and
SecondPlaces which Maria mentioned.

Placing objects from a control panel in world and manipulating them I
think should be possible... assuming a fixed palette of such objects.
The bringing in of dynamically created models and elements not
already in the "asset pack" would be something to make sure you have
a mechanism for in a simple demo before proceeding.  As up to now I
have had all my 3D meshes and object items already in the compiled
app.  The only dynamic external items I had in my demos were web
pages and images from URLs.. which is easy to handle.

If I was starting again now I would target the next version Unity 5
and test out its in built MMO support.