[Opensim-users] Hoping for a fearless comparison of opensim vs unity 3D

Toni Alatalo toni at playsign.net
Fri Jul 18 21:28:38 UTC 2014

yes it's certainly possible, and for simple things not too complex either -
basically like Dahlia said.

for completeness about the extent of VW like collaboration, I'd expect that
adding almost any sort of functionality is theoretically possible ..
similarily to any graphics / game engine. even collaborative editing. but
you'd have to implement all that .. how you deal with the object data when
there's both local & remote changes from the net etc. like we've done on
top of Ogre3D & Three.JS in realXtend Tundra & WebTundra .. which don't
even stil have so much and advanced collab edit things as SLViewer&Opensim
(a lot of nice things do work though). probably the net libs
('middlewares') there are can make it quite nice to do.

and certainly doing something with very limited interaction, say avatars
that can move & communicate and use a shared whiteboard is not that much
and similar to what people do with unity & 3rd part network libs / servers,
or their own net & server codes, all the time i suppose.

~Toni