[Opensim-users] Hoping for a fearless comparison of opensim vs unity 3D

Dr Ramesh Ramloll r.ramloll at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 17:07:02 UTC 2014

Hello,
I am starting this thread so that I can get some of your thoughts on this
matter.
Most of the time, from what I read, and from what prospective clients tell
me, Unity 3D is so great! why don't you develop in unity 3D. Yes it runs on
tablets is a big plus. This I do understand. It has better physics, yes
clearly.
What I am not sure about, and I hope you can share your thoughts,
is whether it would be possible to create a collaboration centric, avatar
centric application in  unity 3D. What I mean, is that whether you can have
within a unity 3D world, avatars using objects to create new ones
*collaboratively* , whether you can provide users with the ability to
change their environments in natural ways, whether objects can be collected
and shared, whether you have a shared white board, or collaborative
document editing within a unity 3D world. And if yes, how long will it take
to make these happen, may be it has already happened, do let me know with
pointers to examples.

And btw, why is it that I havent come across any voice chat demos of unity
3D applications that  run in a browser. I am thinking if Unity3D is really
top notch, why have these things not appeared already as applications (may
be they have, and I haven't seen them, please point to examples, if you
know of them).

And most importantly, what does opensim offers that unity 3D does not, that
you think is important for users out there, from various domains, such as
education, training etc...

p.s. the thoughts about HighFidelity and all these new stuff coming up ....
I still don't know, if all these wheels are going to be reinvented, the
scene is really too messy to contemplate. It is becoming really hard for us
developers to pick platforms. We don't have infinite resources, and we feel
that we don't even get a chance to discuss application level stuffs, when
the underlying platforms are already shifting so arbitrarily.
Thanks
Ramesh
*Rameshsharma Ramloll* PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate *Research
Associate Professor*, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel:
208-240-0040
LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/rameshramloll>, DeepSemaphore LLC
<http://www.deepsemaphore.com>, RezMela <http://www.rezmela.com>, Google+
profile <https://plus.google.com/103652369558830540272/about>