[Opensim-users] Hoping for a fearless comparison of opensim vs unity 3D

John Lester john.e.lester at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 22:15:40 UTC 2014

I'm late to the party here, but...wow.  This is the most interesting and
enlightening discussion I've ever seen about the affordances of Opensim and
Unity.  This thread needs to be referenced in a FAQ somewhere!

Fleep already nailed my own perspective on things.

To contribute something of my own, I like the idea of trying to summarize
the most unique and most important affordances of each platform in a single
sentence.  Here's my attempt.

Opensimulator: Collaborative in-situ content creation using atomistic
building tools in an open source client/server environment that has the
potential to grow into an interconnected constellation of mutliuser virtual
worlds.

Unity: A game-focused development environment leveraging industry-standard
content creation tools and programming languages to allow the deployment of
single or multiuser experiences across as wide a range of platforms as
possible.

- Pathfinder

[image: John Lester on about.me]

John Lester
about.me/pathfinder
  <http://about.me/pathfinder>“If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up
the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach
them to yearn for the vast and endless sea.”  -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry