[Opensim-users] OpenSim and Multi-core/Multi-processor Systems

Ai Austin ai.ai.austin at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 13:32:27 UTC 2014

I did find this discussion forum conversation from nearly 4 years
ago... and wonder if we have somethign more up to date?

http://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/opensim-users/2010-August/005311.html

Related to this also might be how best  to set the maximum number of
threads and if that depends on the processors and/or cores available,
as well presumably on number of regions running in an OpenSim.exe
instance. I see variations of max 1000, 100 and 30 for MaxThreads on
various setups (min 8) and assume these numbers came from
recommendations at various times.

This Wiki entry gives some information on threads.. which seems to
suggest a MaxThreads of 100 (the OpenSimDefaults.ini default).. is
this for one region and it should be increased for multiple regions
on same OpenSim.exe instance, or would that make performance in general worse?

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Threading

I see these notes in the OSGrid add on region OpenSim.ini setup  but
I think the default set in OpenSimDefaults.ini is actually now 100 not 15?

     ; Sets the method that OpenSim will use to fire asynchronous
     ; events. Valid values are UnsafeQueueUserWorkItem,
     ; QueueUserWorkItem, BeginInvoke, SmartThreadPool, and Thread.
     ; SmartThreadPool is reported to work well on Mono/Linux, but
     ; UnsafeQueueUserWorkItem has been benchmarked with better
     ; performance on .NET/Windows
     async_call_method = SmartThreadPool

     ;; Optimizations from Default of 15
     ;; 15 good for Single Core CPU IE: P4
     ;; 30 for Dual Core + CPU's
     ;; 45 for Quad Core + CPU's
     ;; MaxPoolThreads = 45  ; DEFAULT 15

     ; Max threads to allocate on the FireAndForget thread pool
     ; when running with the SmartThreadPool option above
     MaxPoolThreads = 30
     MinPoolThreads = 10