[Opensim-users] avatar body parts not loading

hazylium hazylium at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 00:38:37 UTC 2014

I'm having an issue in my grid (consisting of one Robust and one OpenSim
instance on one machine, and another OpenSim instance on another machine,
all running 0.7.6.1 with Diva Wifi) where when over 20 users attempt to
login within 5-10 minutes of each other, which happens on a regular basis as
I run classroom lessons using this grid, some avatars end up stuck in the
"red mist" state as all their body parts do not load. We're using custom
avatars that one of my colleagues designed, which have been added to Diva
Wifi's default avatar selection.

This has been happening for a while now, since back when I was running 0.7.2
(I upgraded from that version to 0.7.6.1 recently), but until recently the
problem has been annoying but non-critical, as we have been able to solve it
by having affected users create replacement body parts in their inventory
and then wear them. (We have also noticed that on many occasions, the
clothing and body parts of users whose avatars do load properly have been
moved to the Lost & Found folder. This does not seem to adversely affect
them; we've just noted it as an odd repeating occurrence.)

Two weeks ago, however, one of our users experienced an issue where after
having customized her avatar (she created and wore a jacket, and attached a
prim - a basic cube - to her left arm), she logged out and was subsequently
unable to login to the grid. More worryingly, after that, other users were
also unable to login and some users got logged out, and the server console
started reporting lots of errors. I had to shutdown and restart the server
to get it working after that.

For a while I was not sure what the issue was caused by, but after some
testing I narrowed it down to the user in question, and I managed to fixed
the issue (I hope) by logging into Wifi as that user, deleting almost her
entire inventory, and then logging in as her when nobody else was on the
grid (not sure why that fixed the issue). Since then I have not experienced
the issues described above, but I would like to ensure that this issue does
not occur again (or at least, minimize the chances that it occurs). Does
this problem sound familiar to anyone? Here's a link to the log file for the
region in which this problem occurred most often, hopefully this is helpful:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20804971/OpenSim.log
The most severe problems occurred on 1st April, between 11:30am to noon, but
you can see errors and warning messages at other times as well.