[Opensim-users] On Linux, Latest SL/Opensim viewer not compatible with opensim water...

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 3 00:46:39 UTC 2014

The usual approach would be to include these assets with OpenSimulator itself, rather than require people to fetch a
separate IAR.  So donating a patch for this would be welcome, though of course the assets would have to be appropriately
licensed.  I would say that they should be identical or very close to the effect expected elsewhere (though, of course,
any proprietary assets are not appropriate).

If I remember, in the past some of these assets
On 02/04/14 16:51, Chris wrote:
>  From what I understand, some time ago LL had removed some local assets from the viewer code, including the default
> water shader texture, and the transparent highlighter (that red smokey texture you see when you enable transparency via
> CTRL ALT T) since they can directly be served from the SL grid servers. This results in the client not being able to
> find the textures either locally or get it from the server (since to my knowledge they don't exist in the OpenSim's set
> of assets that it is distributed with). Thus on more recent viewers, you see a shiny, smooth, almost mirror-like surface
> on the water, instead of ripples; and if you ever tried editing transparent / semi transparent prims on these viewers
> you may notice that when you enable show transparencies they all show up a solid red color instead of the smokey semi
> transparent highlight texture; Which by the way, solid opaque red is really hard to work with when editing a number of
> objects in close proximity and they all have some kind of transparency :)
>
> The bad thing about the said asset removal is that you can't simply copy those assets from an older viewer and put them
> in your problematic viewer's install directory... It appears those viewers are now hard-coded to retrieve those assets
> from the server and will ignore the presence of the ones you copied over.
>
> It's a bit of an "ungraceful" and a bit brute force approach I suppose but; I have a small IAR that I made up that
> inserts the water shader and the transparent highlighter textures into your inventory. Once it has been loaded the
> database will have the correct textures and UUID references for them and the viewers should start displaying them
> properly again. You don't even have to keep them in your inventory once it's loaded. Problem is, they are the same
> textures as found in the viewer's install directory and I am not sure if they can be distributed with OS. If none of the
> developers here have an issue though with me linking to the IAR that fixes the issue then I will gladly upload it
> somewhere and post up a link? Let me know please :)
>
> -- Chris
>
> On 4/2/2014 9:58 AM, riebling wrote:
>> My intuition is that it's a viewer problem; does the Kokua viewer display
>> water the same way when connecting to SL? If it does, then it's not an
>> OpenSim problem. I am 99% sure water is 100% handled client side, and
>> OpenSim server code has nothing to do with it.
>>
>> Maybe try some more experiments to narrow down possibilities.
>> I just downloaded and ran viewer Kokua_64_3_7_4_32111_x86_64 on Ubuntu, and
>> got normal looking water.
>>
>> One thing I DID notice about Kokua was that it does not allow me to choose
>> advanced graphics settings. Kokua locks me out of certain things, where
>> other viewers (Singularity) do not. (My graphics hardware is low quality
>> motherboard-based, and generates a warning at startup) In spite of this,
> [...]

Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
OSVW Consulting
http://justincc.org
http://twitter.com/justincc