No subject

Sat Apr 19 01:53:27 UTC 2014

thinking in "actual" opensim scene implementation, not "ogre meshes", for
example):
- The creation of converters between "primitives" and 3D "usual" graphic
formats (described by 3D points, lights, etc etc).
- The use of Collada extensions for primitives, with the disavantage of not
to be "directly" imported into 3D programs.

Actually we can import from Autocad (Henshin), 3dsmax (Prim composer), Maya
(SLTk), blender, Sketchup... but all of them use a distinct format. We need
an unified format, that is clear, but Collada...

There are plugins for "collading" 3Dsmax designs (some for autocad too, kml
converters and so on) but, by now, I haven't seen anything usable into
Opensim without a great development effort for "reconverting" collada files.

My conclusion (always personal opinions from someone who needs something
"right now"): too much work for poor results.

Greetings.

2008/12/24 Paul Fishwick <fishwick at cise.ufl.edu>

> Toni Alatalo wrote:
> >
> > Someone asked for my strategy for dealing with 3d data. Well for us at
> > Playsign it's pretty simple, we have models made for games and some
> > other things, and the plan has been to keep everything in Blender
> > trusting that we can import anything and export to everywhere from
> > there. I've participated in Blender development myself so it's easy to
> > trust it. So far have used mostly Soya3d and Ogre, for which there are
> > direct exporters, and looked at e.g. Papervision3d (that would use via
> > the Collada export). There is also an Ogre importer. We don't use SL,
> > but are looking at Rex and working on it 'cause might be able to use it.
> >

>  From the standpoint of yet another user of OpenSim, I echo this desire
> to use Blender (which
> we use on other projects) for forming and manipulating geometry and then
> being able
> to import into SL. The actual format (Collada, X3D,...) to us is less
> important than the sheer
> ability to enrich the variety of geometry types that SL can display
> (perhaps through he evolving
> Rex viewer). In-world SL-style prim construction is nice, but it just
> doesn't cut it for richer
> environments. Meshes are a good start. Also, how about the parametric
> nature of spline
> surfaces (this would be efficient from a communications standpoint since
> the client does the
> leg-work on rendering the surfaces)?
>
> -p
>
> --
> Paul Fishwick, PhD
> Professor and Director, Digital Arts and Sciences Programs
> University of Florida
> Computer & Information Science and Eng. Dept.
> Bldg. CSE, Room 301
> P.O. Box 116120
> Gainesville, FL 32611
> Email: fishwick at cise.ufl.edu
> Phone: (352) 392-1414
> Fax: (352) 392-1220
> Web: http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick<http://www.cise.ufl.edu/%7Efishwick>

------=_Part_102366_30400704.1230236462937

Hi everybody:<br><br>Months ago I've been evaluating Collada as a format for my Henshin project (autocad to sl and opensim). Though Collada is more "3D vertex" oriented than "primitive oriented" it allows to define something like "extensions".<br>

> Someone asked for my strategy for dealing with 3d data. Well for us at<br>
> Playsign it's pretty simple, we have models made for games and some<br>
> other things, and the plan has been to keep everything in Blender<br>
> trusting that we can import anything and export to everywhere from<br>
> there. I've participated in Blender development myself so it's easy to<br>
> trust it. So far have used mostly Soya3d and Ogre, for which there are<br>
> direct exporters, and looked at e.g. Papervision3d (that would use via<br>
> the Collada export). There is also an Ogre importer. We don't use SL,<br>
> but are looking at Rex and working on it 'cause might be able to use it.<br>
to use Blender (which<br>
we use on other projects) for forming and manipulating geometry and then<br>
being able<br>
to import into SL. The actual format (Collada, X3D,...) to us is less<br>
important than the sheer<br>
ability to enrich the variety of geometry types that SL can display<br>
(perhaps through he evolving<br>
Rex viewer). In-world SL-style prim construction is nice, but it just<br>
doesn't cut it for richer<br>
environments. Meshes are a good start. Also, how about the parametric<br>
nature of spline<br>
surfaces (this would be efficient from a communications standpoint since<br>
the client does the<br>
leg-work on rendering the surfaces)?<br>
-p<br>
--<br>
Paul Fishwick, PhD<br>
Professor and Director, Digital Arts and Sciences Programs<br>
University of Florida<br>
Computer & Information Science and Eng. Dept.<br>
Bldg. CSE, Room 301<br>
P.O. Box 116120<br>
Gainesville, FL 32611<br>
Phone: (352) 392-1414<br>