[Opensim-users] Can't start a running OS 0.7.3 config on a new Windows 2008 server

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 2 18:12:28 UTC 2013

Yes, on Windows an executable is targeted towards a specific version of .NET (3.5, 4.0, etc.).  Although the SDK of a
later version is a subset of that of an earlier version (sans functions removed after deprecation), aspects of the
system can still subtly change (e.g. behaviour of Threadpool).

Mono takes a different approach where the latest Mono pacakge will run executables compiled against any previous verion
of .NET that it supports.

On 30/08/13 07:55, Len W. Brown wrote:
> I came across this message while looking for a solution online to the same question posed regarding the
> OpenSim.Region.ClientStack.LindenUDP.dll crash.
>
> I wanted to reply to let you know what I ran across that created as well as solved this issue.
>
> I too am running OpenSim on a VM and had received the same error noted. After some investigation and trial and error I
> discovered that it was the result of me removing .NET 3.5.1 in Windows 7- Control Panel - Programs and Features - Turn
> Windows Features on or off.
>
> I'd unchecked Microsoft .NET 3.5.1 when I created the virtual machine. I routinely turn off Gadgets, Tablet PC
> Components, etc to save a bit of space in the initial install.
>
> I hadn't realized for weeks that this was why I was getting that blasted dll error.  When I went in and checked the
> Windows .NET 3.5.1 component and kit ok, then OpenSim started up just fine.  I tried this a few more times to doublecheck.
>
> I'd assumed because I installed the most recent version of .NET that I did not need the default install of .NET 3.5.1
> that came with Windows 7.
>
> Long story short, I hope this will provide a heads-up to anyone experiencing this issue in the future.
>
> - Len
>
> On 2012-03-14 14:49, Kurt Reisler wrote:
>> After a 'rebuild from scratch" and making sure that the configuration
>> of the VM was identical to the ones which were running OS 0.7.2
>> without problems, I was able to bring up OS 0.7.3 on the new VM with
>> no further issues. Not sure what was causing the issue, but it is
>> taken care of.
>>
>>  Thanks
>>  Kurt
>>
>>  On 3/9/2012 10:41 AM, Kurt Reisler wrote:
>>
>>> Same error. I am starting to suspect the server is borked. I am
>>> going to ask them to rebuild it from scratch.
>>> Will let you know what happens.
>>> Thanks
>>> Kurt
>>>
>>> On 3/9/2012 10:31 AM, Kurt Reisler wrote: As mentioned, this is a
>>> fresh install, just downloaded yesterday morning. I had removed the
>>> prior installs and even flushed the database. I do have an 0.7.2
>>> distro on one of my other running VMs. I will try installing that
>>> one. I am also going to ask the support folks to check and see what
>>> is different between the VMs that are working running Open Sim and
>>> this one which is having issues.
>>>
>>> Weirdness.
>>> Thanks
>>> Kurt
>>>
>>> On 3/8/2012 10:41 PM, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
>>> Are you absolutely sure that all the DLLs belong to the same
>>> release? I made a change to the OnCompleteMovementToRegion event
>>> back in 2011-08-09 (post 0.7.2, pre 0.7.3). If somehow your DLLs are
>>> coming from two different releases then that error would appear.
>>> Otherwise I'm stumped.
>>>
>>> On 08/03/12 18:17, Kurt Reisler wrote:
>>> OK, .Net has been updated to version 4.0.30319 and I have done a
>>> fresh install configured as a standalone. Same error
>>> message:
>>>
>>> 2012-03-08 13:14:08,784 DEBUG - OpenSim.Data.MySQL.MySQLEstateStore
>>> [REGION DB]: Connection wait timeout 28860 seconds
>>> 2012-03-08 13:14:08,784 INFO - OpenSim.Data.Migration [MIGRATIONS]:
>>> Upgrading EstateStore to latest revision 32.
>>> 2012-03-08 13:14:08,784 INFO - OpenSim.Data.Migration [MIGRATIONS]:
>>> NOTE - this may take a while, don't interrupt
>>> this process!
>>> 2012-03-08 13:14:08,893 INFO - OpenSim.Data.Migration [MIGRATIONS]:
>>> Creating EstateStore at version 13
>>> 2012-03-08 13:14:08,940 INFO - OpenSim.Data.Migration [MIGRATIONS]:
>>> Updating EstateStore to version 32
>>> *2012-03-08 13:14:08,940 INFO -
>>> OpenSim.Region.ClientStack.ClientStackManager [CLIENTSTACK]:
>>> Attempting to load
>>> OpenSim.Region.ClientStack.LindenUDP.dll
>>> 2012-03-08 13:14:09,237 ERROR -
>>> OpenSim.Region.ClientStack.ClientStackManager
>>> System.TypeLoadException: Method
>>> 'add_OnCompleteMovementToRegion' in type
>>> 'OpenSim.Region.ClientStack.LindenUDP.LLClientView' from assembly
>>> 'OpenSim.Region.ClientStack.LindenUDP, Version=0.0.0.0,
>>> Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' does not have an
>>> implementation.*
>>> 2012-03-08 13:14:09,284 ERROR - OpenSim.Application [APPLICATION]:
>>> APPLICATION EXCEPTION DETECTED: System.UnhandledExceptionEventArgs
>>>
>>> Exception: System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: Unable to
>>> load one or more of the requested types.
>>> Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information.
>>> at OpenSim.Region.ClientStack.ClientStackManager..ctor(String
>>> dllName)
>>> at OpenSim.OpenSimBase.CreateClientStackManager()
>>> at
>>> OpenSim.Region.ClientStack.RegionApplicationBase.StartupSpecific()
>>> at OpenSim.OpenSimBase.StartupSpecific()
>>> at OpenSim.OpenSim.StartupSpecific()
>>> at OpenSim.Framework.Servers.BaseOpenSimServer.Startup()
>>> at OpenSim.Application.Main(String[] args)
>>>
>>> Application is terminating: True
>>>
>>> Any suggestions as to how to proceed?
>>> Thanks in advance
>>> Kurt
>>>
>>> On 3/7/2012 9:26 PM, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
>>> That is a very odd error to see. Are both systems running the same
>>> version of .NET?
>>>
>>> On 07/03/12 19:55, Kurt Reisler wrote:
>>> [Because of mail server issues today, I am not sure if this went
>>> out or not. If it did, please excuse the double posting
>>> - Kurt]
>>>
>>> I am very confused. I have been unable to get a freshly installed
>>> 0.7.3 running on a new server (Windows Server 2008).
>>> In frustration, I have copied a running, working installation from
>>> another 64-bit Windows 7 machine and installed it on
>>> the new server. Both are running standalone. It should have worked.
>>> Instead, I get the exact same errors as I got with
>>> the vanilla install:
>>>
>>> 2012-03-07 10:46:05,124 INFO -
>>> OpenSim.Region.ClientStack.ClientStackManager [CLIENTSTACK]:
>>> Attempting to load
>>> OpenSim.Region.ClientStack.LindenUDP.dll
>>> 2012-03-07 10:46:05,140 ERROR -
>>> OpenSim.Region.ClientStack.ClientStackManager
>>> System.TypeLoadException: Method
>>> 'add_OnCompleteMovementToRegion' in type
>>> 'OpenSim.Region.ClientStack.LindenUDP.LLClientView' from assembly
>>> 'OpenSim.Region.ClientStack.LindenUDP, Version=0.0.0.0,
>>> Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' does not have an
>>> implementation.
>>> 2012-03-07 10:46:05,155 ERROR - OpenSim.Application [APPLICATION]:
>>> APPLICATION EXCEPTION DETECTED: System.UnhandledExceptionEventArgs
>>>
>>> Exception: System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: Unable to
>>> load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve
>>> the LoaderExceptions property for more information.
>>> at OpenSim.Region.ClientStack.ClientStackManager..ctor(String
>>> dllName)
>>> at OpenSim.OpenSimBase.CreateClientStackManager()
>>> at
>>> OpenSim.Region.ClientStack.RegionApplicationBase.StartupSpecific()
>>> at OpenSim.OpenSimBase.StartupSpecific()
>>> at OpenSim.OpenSim.StartupSpecific()
>>> at OpenSim.Framework.Servers.BaseOpenSimServer.Startup()
>>> at OpenSim.Application.Main(String[] args)
>>>
>>> Application is terminating: True
>>>
>>> It looks like there is an issue with
>>> OpenSim.Region.ClientStack.LindenUDP.dll, which is present in the
>>> bin directory
>>> tree. Any suggestions why this would work on a Windows 7 platform
>>> and not on a Windows 2008 server?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance
>>> Kurt

>> Links: