[Opensim-users] collision detection for attachments

Gwyneth Llewelyn gwyneth.llewelyn at gwynethllewelyn.net
Wed Oct 16 20:50:12 UTC 2013

Bumping this thread again... :)

I've been actively tracking this down since I desperately need the same
functionality as provided by SL (see
http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=6707)

I managed to at least get attachments detect collisions with other avatars
and physics-enabled prims. The trick is to change
Region.Framework.Scenes.SceneObjectPart.UpdatePrimFlags() to force
attachments with scripts setting llVolumeDetect() to be subscribed to
collision events. This works reasonably well under BulletSim (I agree with
the comments on this thread, BulletSim seems to be advancing fast to become
a replacement of the "default" ODE. I still have some issues with excessive
CPU consumption under certain circumstances which have been quite hard to
track down to my configuration), not so well under ODE (but at least _some_
collision events are being sent).

This doesn't mean it works _always_; in fact, my current issue is to figure
out why it only works _some_ of the time, and the physics engine needs
llVolumeDetect() to be "refreshed" continuously, or the attachment will not
receive collision events.

However, I'm still stumped at figuring out how to receive collision events
with non-physical objects, just like SL does. But the work is under way to
figure this out...

-----
--
"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08