[Opensim-users] Bypassing the 10 m rezzing limit for llRezObject

Dr Ramesh Ramloll r.ramloll at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 01:25:18 UTC 2012

Well said Edmund, you said what I was expecting to happen.
' so it ended
up being easier just to rez them where we were and tell them to move
to where we wanted them. '

and
' , it doesn't
always seem to be in a position to listen for and handle messages. I
think the issue is that it takes a bit of time after an object rezzes
for it to start running its scripts and start listening for messages. '

So unfortunately, I will have to do dirty coding again to make it happen.
Unless there is a compelling reason,
does implementing an opensim function RezObjectAtRegionCoordinates() going
to lead to problems?
I understand that 10 m limit might have been implemented to avoid griefing
initially,
for the same reason that llSetRegionPos is being implemented ... I think
there is a need for something similar for Rezzing.

How else could we do 'parametric building' and procedural based building
sim wide? This is quite important I think.
There are lots of viz applications that would require the 10 m rez limit to
be bypassed.

If dirty coding in LSL ... (also implying waste of tons of computing
resources ...listening to this and that message etc...) could allow it, I
think there is a need for a sim wide rez function.

Hope the opensim gods will answer my prayers.

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 9:04 PM, Edmund Edgar <ed at avatarclassroom.com>wrote:

> On 15 September 2012 08:16, Dr Ramesh Ramloll <r.ramloll at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks for the reply Daniel, I am trying to rez region wide ... objects.
> how
> > would this relay object work?
>
> I made a rezzer for sloodle once like this although we ended up not
> using it. The objects were rezzed by a little UFO thingy (I called it
> the "mothership") that would move to where you wanted to rez the
> object and rez it there, then move back. There are a few ways to do
> this:
> a) The user controls the mothership directly - it flies to where it
> should rez things, then flies back.
> b) The user interacts with a stationary controller object which sends
> instructions to the mothership.
> c) Every time you want to rez something, the stationary controller
> object rezzes a mothership and tells it where to go and what to rez,
> and the mothership flies off, rezzes that object and derezzes itself
> when it's done.
>
> The advantage of this approach is that you don't have to put a script
> in the object you want to rez. But since there's no
> llDeRezOtherObject(), we ended up needing to put a script in the
> objects in any case for when we wanted to get rid of them, so it ended
> up being easier just to rez them where we were and tell them to move
> to where we wanted them.
>
> BTW, one thing to watch out for if you end up telling objects where to
> move to - at least in SL, probably OpenSim too - is that right after
> you rez an object (ie when the object_rez event fires), it doesn't
> always seem to be in a position to listen for and handle messages. I
> think the issue is that it takes a bit of time after an object rezzes
> for it to start running its scripts and start listening for messages.
> So if you need this to work reliably, you probably need some logic to
> make the rezzer resend the message if the rezzed object hasn't got it
> yet. (It may be enough just make your rezzer llSleep() for a bit after
> object_rez fires and hope for the best...)
>
> --
> Edmund Edgar
> Avatar Classroom
> Your classroom, on the web, in a virtual world.
>
> ed at avatarclassroom.com
> +81 090 3912 3380
> Skype: edmundedgar
> Second Life: Edmund Earp
> Linked In: edmundedgar
> Twitter: @edmundedgar
> http://www.avatarclassroom.com

*Rameshsharma Ramloll* PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate *Research
Associate Professor*, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel:
208-240-0040
Blog <http://deepsemaphore.posterous.com/>,
LinkedIn<http://www.linkedin.com/in/rameshramloll>
, DeepSemaphore LLC <http://www.deepsemaphore.com>, Google+