[Opensim-users] Announcement of inventory tool (MyInventory), mostly of interest to grid operators/grid nauts

Snowcrash Short snowcrash.short at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 21:42:28 UTC 2012

Diva ....

In so many ways I believe we have the same vision of what the metaverse
should be. But we disagree on a few details on implementation.

In my vision the user does not need to run a simulator, all he or she needs
is a storage location for inventory content and assets, and contact
information (friends). Whether the user decides to house that storage in
"the cloud" or on a local computer is - even today - completely irrelevant
to my implementation.

Using Robust as a basis for storing a users personal inventory and assets
(legally licensed naturally) is asking too much of the average user in my
personal opinion, it needs to be simpler.

I am not against Robust, it was a big step forward compared to UGAIM, but
not for users.

As for bots, there is no doubt that it is easy to detect bots, the real
question is whether blocking for MyInventory - as long as it isn't used for
copyright infringement - is doing the user base a dis-service or not? I am
definitely not trying to belittle content creators, they do a very
important job, but with out a solid and strong user base, what purpose -
beyond the pleasure of creation - serves the process of content creation?

MyInventory is foremost designed to be a tool for end users, and the
roadmap I envision is based on user needs. I won't delve to much on the
plans since they are worthless unless they are backed by code. Users need
content creators and Content creators needs users and easy - controllable
and manageable  - distribution channels, users need content, easy
distribution channels and regions.

I hope that clarifies why I have opted to stay away from writing code for
Robust.

Best regards
Snowcrash