[Opensim-users] Announcement of inventory tool (MyInventory), mostly of interest to grid operators/grid nauts

Snowcrash Short snowcrash.short at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 17:37:29 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 4:16 PM, Diva Canto <diva at metaverseink.com> wrote:

> On 11/18/2012 10:42 PM, Snowcrash Short wrote:
>
>> Whether to patch an angle of attack is definitely not my decision. If you
>> and the core team are happy with the users and content creators in open
>> grids being vulnerable, then I cannot do anything about it.
>>

> You're sort of right that you can't do anything about it, but not for the
> reasons you think.
> If you take time to think about it, you will come to the conclusion, like
> many of us have, that those grids are hopelessly insecure.

Well, it is only the single most popular opensimulator based grid you are
writing complete off as hopelessly insecure, when the truth is that it can
be hardened. Although I agree that complete security would require a
rethink about where assets are stored.

> Checking sessions ids and permissions will not make them less insecure,
> given that anyone can plug a simulator to it running all sorts of rogue
> code. It's an architecture that is impossible to sustain. Hence, other
> alternatives like the Hypergrid.
>
> But if those are your favorite grids, I encourage you to provide services
> that make them slightly less insecure.

Ultimately I intend to, but right now I have a foundation to lay, in the
form of an inventory and asset store under control of the user rather than
grid operators.

Best regards
Snowcrash