[Opensim-users] Announcement of inventory tool (MyInventory), mostly of interest to grid operators/grid nauts

Fleep Tuque fleep513 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 19:31:08 UTC 2012

Regarding legitimate use cases:

It would be a perfectly legitimate use for someone to download any and all
content they have received on FleepGrid and then import that content into
any other grid.  Every item available to another user via $0 sale or "take
a copy" on my grid is CC licensed for such use (to the best of my
knowledge) and there would be nothing illegal, immoral, or unethical about
it.  In fact, I encourage it!

Likewise, it would be a perfectly legitimate use for someone to download
all 500+ items I have created and listed on the FleepGrid webshop, which
are primarily in IAR format, and then upload those items to any other grid.
 Right now, as far as I know, the only way to do that is through console
access, which means only grid owners can really use the items I put on the
web, not end users.  That's due to a technical limitation of existing
tools, not my intent.  My intent is for anyone to be able to use them.  If
I understand Snowcrash's description correctly, his tool would make that
possible for any end user of a grid, which in fact would not only be a
legitimate use of the tool, but a wonderful and extremely helpful addition
for those of us who opensource our content and make it available in IAR
format for transport.

I really don't mean to beat a dead horse, but those are legitimate uses.
 To say there is NO legitimate use of such a tool is simply not true.  What
is true is that there could be both legitimate and illegitimate uses.  And
I agree Snowcrash and any other developers should do their very best to
safeguard against that where possible.  But you can't argue that no
legitimate use case exists because I've just given several.  My desire to
create content and share it freely with whoever wants to use it is as
legitimate as any other content creator's desires, and ditto for any
law-abiding end user who wishes to use that content in an easy, convenient,
legal way.

Regarding the concept of "my inventory" (lowercase):

I agree with Snowcrash that the concept of "my inventory" is the mental
construct that the vast majority of virtual world users have. Once I have
personally verified the license of an opensource item and have gained
access to it (currently by downloading the IAR or XML file to my local
computer), then I consider that file to be "mine" (or my licensed copy if
you prefer) to use as I wish, on any grid I wish.  The creator said I
could.  Great!  Except the ability to actually use that item on any grid I
wish requires me to upload it over and over each time I go to a new grid.
 And for IAR items, the only portable format that fully preserves an item,
I can only upload it if I have console access to the simulator - which of
course I do not have access to on any grids but my own.  That is not an
ideal situation at all.  I have an inventory of stuff that is mine to use,
my inventory, but using it on every grid I visit is at the moment an
exceedingly cumbersome process at best, and maybe not even possible at all
unless I have console access.

A tool that would allow me to upload all the legally licensed XML and IAR
files I am currently storing on my local computer to a third party service,
that would hold those files for me, and then magically import them into any
grid I visit without me having to manually do it item by item myself would
be a godsend - and perfectly legal, legitimate, ethical, and proper.  I
know every XML and IAR file on my local computer is licensed for such use
and I would use such a tool with no hesitation at all, and would probably
want to kiss the developer who made it because it would save me an enormous
amount of time and effort.

Regarding third party inventory services:

So let's say 20 reputable opensource content creators got together and
decided to pool our resources to make a repository of content available,
and we each had 500 items to contribute. Think Linda Kellie, who has the
most open permissions of any Opensim creator I know, or Vanish Seriath of
Opensim Creations, etc. So now we have a repository of 10,000 items that
are legally licensed from trusted sources that can be used on any grid.
 Would you really argue the ideal situation is that each user should
manually download each item from that repository and then each user should
manually upload each item to each and every grid every time they want to
use something from it?  Surely not, that's crazy.  But that's pretty much
the current situation.

The ideal situation would be to have my inventory of legally licensed
freebie and purchased content (if it was licensed for such use) hosted not
on each grid, but somewhere else, and accessible to me no matter what grid
I travel to without me having to do any uploading at all. When I log on to
a grid, some established protocol talks to my inventory (or inventories, I
can imagine multiple services/sources), displays it as a folder when I open
my inventory in the GUI, and makes a local copy of an item only when I rez
it out into the world, or wear it, or whatever.  Or something like that.
 For freebie licensed content, perhaps grids subscribe to the third party
inventory repository and provide it as a folder in the library for every
user of their grid, or.. I dunno!  I can imagine many permutations.

I am not a developer, so I don't fully understand all the mechanisms and
protocols that exist or could exist to make that kind of  functionality
possible.  But in general, it seems like Snowcrash's tool is trying to
implement some version of that concept, and I for one am very interested in
seeing how it might be implemented in a legal and ethical way. It would
solve what I view as one of the biggest obstacles to Opensim adoption -
lack of easy availability and portability of known, legally licensed,
trusted content.

Regarding opensource content creators and the need for better mechanisms to
share opensource content:

I think Linda, Vanish, and I might be three largest web-based opensource
content providers at the moment, but there may be more that I don't know
about.  I obviously can't speak for them, but for myself, I spend an
_enormous_ amount of time, energy, and what amateur skill I possess not
just making items for the community, but countless additional hours
packaging them up, indexing them, loading them onto a website, and doing my
best to make it easy for people to actually port them wherever they want
and _use_ them.

Since I am not a coder or a programmer, I unfortunately can't contribute to
the development of the Opensim code itself.  Creating openly licensed
content represents my attempt to contribute to the Opensim community in
another way.  Which is why it is quite sad to me that for all the countless
hours of effort I've dedicated to making these resources available to
people, in the hopes of making a significant positive contribution to the
Opensim community, the current technical limitations prevents the vast
majority of end users from being able to use my content at all!

If Snowcrash is trying to resolve that problem, I am behind that effort
100%, even if I share everyone's concerns about illegitimate uses and the
need to protect others rights, and sincerely hope that those issues and
concerns can be addressed, too.  But I can't agree there's no legitimate
need or use for a tool such as this - from my perspective, there is in fact
a great need for it.

. . .

I do apologize, both for the tl;dr length of this post and because I've
posted an awful lot in this thread, far more than I usually do. Clearly I
feel passionately about the topic.  Maybe I'll try to take a backseat for a
bit to make sure I'm not drowning out other voices and to think more about
all of the possible implications of a tool with this functionality.  And
while, for the purposes of this discussion, I am taking a strong position
on the potential benefits for opensource creators and law-abiding end
users, I hope it's clear that I genuinely understand, respect, and agree
with many of the concerns that have been raised as well.  I want all
content creators' and grid owners' rights to be respected, not just my own.

Sincerely,

- Chris/Fleep