[Opensim-users] Announcement of inventory tool (MyInventory), mostly of interest to grid operators/grid nauts

InuYasha Meiji inuyasha.meiji at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 13:42:20 UTC 2012

Just so everyone knows, I didn't miss the point of this message.  I am
aching to clear this up about myself.  My Avatar as well as myself are
both MALE.  I noticed in this message that it is being confused.  It
don't really matter. but I had to straighten it out.  Seven years ago
when I joined SL, InuYasha was one of my favorite Anime series.  It is a
Japanese name for the main character who happens to be a Half-Demon.
The name is like saying he is a half powered demon, half breed.  It is
pronounced EEnuYasha, in Japanese I's are pronounced like EE's.

The anime don't really give a last name and I didn't want to steal it
anyways, so I used a time period.  I thought back when I joined I would
be interested in the Meiji era.  I didn't really think I would stay that
long in Secondlife and wasn't thinking I would carry this name so long.
After two years I settled on and fell in love with the ancient Okinawan
Culture.  I have been studying it and learning techniques of that
culture for over 5 years now. I have way outgrown the character name and
became much more serious about it.  MY problem is most people I know met
me under the InuYasha name.  I wanted people in OSGrid to know who I was
from SL.  In SL I use the display name Yuukyu.  It is a name I choose,
sounds Okinawan, but it translates to the word meaning "Eternal",
because I feel like I been in virtual worlds forever now.  lol.

Opensim is great to me.  There are so many other important things going
on and fixes needed.  I haven't officially made a request, but hoping at
some point opensim will support the renaming/display names that SL
does.  Then I could use Yuukyu on my grid as well as Osgrid.  I use
Firestorm and to change your display name open your profile and click
the wrench icon.  It then ask you for a display name.

Yuukyu/(InuYasha Meiji)

On 11/16/2012 6:19 AM, Teravus Ovares wrote:
> SnowCrash,
> Firstly,  Say what you mean to say.... and choose your words carefully
> because a lot of people will base their opinions of your tool on
> them.  Be clear about what you're writing and what other people will
> think it means when they read it.   It's much harder to take back a
> comment after the fact then it is to say the right thing the first time.
> To address your comments:
> 1. As far as it being a gauntlet, you said that you were at the
> installer stage and the code is ready for release and what you were
> working on now is the 'documentation' and 'installer'.
>
>   * Ready for release means that it's done being worked on prior to
>     release.    It also means that any changes that the community
>     suggests would then have to be implemented and tested/validated
>     delaying release.
>   * You also said that, assuming the grid owner contacted you, you'd
>     'attempt' to get it in _before releasing the source_,  "Any grid
>     operator which would like to have backup governed by a more
>     restrictive policy are invited to notify me and I will attempt to
>     implement the policy prior to the first release of the source
>     code. or supply patches at a later time."
>   * You're_not_ saying that you'll get the policies in_before the
>     first product release,_ you're saying you'll get them in place
>     _before the /source/ is released._
>   * If this isn't the case and you're willing to put in extra effort
>     getting a solid permission framework in place before
>     product release(which, in my opinion, may take weeks or months to
>     properly set up), then please say so.
>
> 2._You developed this tool in a vacuum_ and did not involve anyone
> from /this/ community in the process until it's already being released..
>
>   * You're not compromising on the permissions before product release,
>     just source release..
>   * it's definately going to be released.. "There is no if about
>     it" as a response to a perfectly valid argument (that I'll
>     elaborate on below)...   I'd say that's throwing down the gauntlet.
>   * This, 'developed in a vacuum' fact is further evidenced by the
>     fact that you are not very familiar with the copybot
>     discussions...   Had you even mentioned the project to the
>     community here and the fact that it was going to "download
>     anything that it could", they would/have immediately/ made
>     references to copybot and SecondInventory.
>
> 3. "I do however stand my statement that I am willing to listen
> suggestions from the community as long as they do not in a significant
> way deprive users of their legitimate rights.". Ok fair enough,
> so/who's/ judging what's legitimate and not, You? How are you
> qualified to judge what's right and not? Are you an appointed judge or
> an IP/copyright attorney? Do you have years of experience dealing with
> IP, copyright?   You're a software developer /who _hasn't_ effectively
> argued that your program has a legitimate use/ and by legitimate, I
> [...]

Opensim User: In Gridmode  on Version 0.7.4. Nine Instances with 56 Regions.
on Windows 7, 64-bit. Phenom 9500 2.2 GHz Quad Core, Terabyte Hard
Drive, 8gig DDR2 RAM.  Used XAMPP to load PHP Version 5.3.0, Apache
and MySQL 5.1.41-community edition.  Groups, Profiles, Vivox Voice and
Offline Messages all working. (Not yet Public, 6 users allowed Now).