[Opensim-users] Announcement of inventory tool (MyInventory), mostly of interest to grid operators/grid nauts

Marcus Llewellyn marcus.llewellyn at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 11:56:32 UTC 2012

On 11/16/2012 12:56 AM, Snowcrash Short wrote:
> Users have right too, you know?

Absolutely. Believe me, I'm a huge supporter of user's rights. These
include things like (as they're known in the U.S.) fair use and first
sale doctrines. But I ask you not to forget forget that the ability to
exercise copyright or enter into a contract is *also* a user's right.
This isn't a "Them against Us" issue. It's an _ALL of us_ issue.
Fighting for one set of rights while disregarding or undermining other
rights is not a tenable position.

I've would adore it if someone were to step up and pull people together
into finally wrangling a framework that allows for people like Fleep to
share her creations freely across virtual worlds in a user friendly
format, while also allowing commercial creators to have a reasonable
expectation of the preservation of their licenses and copyrights. That
should be the real project here. There's too many missing pieces at the
moment. Getting an export flag implemented on the server and in viewers,
although an imperfect solution, would be an excellent way to get the
ball rolling.

Any other action, I think, will tend to be perceived as a, "I want what
I want, and I want it now, damn the consequences," response to the
community, whether or not that perception is warranted.

Marcus