[Opensim-users] Announcement of inventory tool (MyInventory), mostly of interest to grid operators/grid nauts

Melanie melanie at t-data.com
Fri Nov 16 03:47:21 UTC 2012

Hi,

On 16/11/2012 04:14, Diva Canto wrote:
> My 2cents.

[...]

> Melanie, I don't think his code being open source will pose much of a
> threat as long as the services are firewalled. It looks like his tool
> interacts with the services directly, and not via the simulators --
> which, of course, is the real Aquilles Heel exploited by plenty of other
> tools out there.

If you reread the original post, you will see that his program will
be able to download in the way Second inventory does it; the asset
server URI is for deduplicationg UPLOAD.

Download is vie LLUDP/Caps and can bypass permissions completely. In
an open source tool, grid TOS respecting code can be trivially
commented. The distribution of such a modified version to the public
would mean anyone being able to copy without deeper knowledge of
grid technologies and tools. The people who would modify the code in
that way are not people who respect copyleft licenses like the AGPL
and the people who would use the modified version will likely be
those who respect no licenses whatsoever. An open source content
ripping tool would be abused in so many ways and form the basis of a
whole new generation of super copybots.

- Melanie