[Opensim-users] Announcement of inventory tool (MyInventory), mostly of interest to grid operators/grid nauts

InuYasha Meiji inuyasha.meiji at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 21:37:20 UTC 2012

To Those who always wondered why I never connected my grid to the hypergrid.

Inu.

On 11/15/2012 3:26 PM, Snowcrash Short wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 9:00 PM, Melanie <melanie at t-data.com
> <mailto:melanie at t-data.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     On 15/11/2012 19:33, Snowcrash Short wrote:
>     > Closed source is just another word for security through
>     obscurity, which we
>     > - hopefully - all know really doesn't provide any security. [...]
>
>     Closed source means that it's not trivially possible to modify the
>     tool to assume the open policy for all grids and then put the
>     modified tool in the wild for all and sundry to abuse.
>     Most existing tools are either hacking tools sold through dubious
>     channels, difficult to use or lack important features. There is to
>     this day no free, widely available, open source, easy to use content
>     ripping tool. Your project is bound to become that tool if it is
>     released as open source.
>
> There is no if about it, the code is ready for release, currently I'm
> working on a windows installer and documentation. Initially the code
> will be released under AGPL, once the code base is more mature I
> intend to change the licence to BSD.
>
> I have decided to wait for two weeks after my initial announcement,
> because I wanted to give grid operators a heads up before releasing
> the code.
>

>     > Atleast it will be very simple for the administrator to
>     determine if assets
>     > are being duplicated, especially if MyInventory is being used in
>     a mode
>     > where it accesses the asset service directly.
>
>     No closed grid will ever be able to provide direct asset service
>     connections because these also allow to extract any and all content,
>     in full quality and without restrictions. This would include script
>     sources - an unacceptable situation.
>
> Not really, it would be almost trivial to implement an asset service
> which restricted access to assets, at least in a non hyper-grid
> scenario. The only worry would be rouge simulators which could be
> attached to an existing grid.
>
> On a similar note it would almost as easy to implement a fully
> distributed asset server, which retrieved assets from the users local
> asset store, "My Suitcase" is clearly an example that such a scheme is
> not only feasible but almost fully implemented in the existing code
> base. The only question is whether grid operators are willing to
> surrender control of assets, and leave those assets to be the
> responsibility of the visiting users. This distributed asset store,
> where asset are fetched from individual users' asset stores would very
> likely - and counter intuitively - be the one that offered the
> greatest amount of protection against asset theft compared to a
> hypergrid enabled grids asset store.
> /Snowcrash
>
>     - Melanie

Opensim User: Standalone Grid on Version 0.7.4 with 56 Regions
on Windows 7, 64-bit. Phenom 9500 2.2 GHz Quad Core, Terabyte Hard
Drive, 8gig DDR2 RAM.  Used XAMPP to load PHP Version 5.3.0, Apache
and MySQL 5.1.41-community edition.  Groups, Profiles, Voice and
Offline Messages all working. (Not yet Public, 6 users allowed Now).