[Opensim-users] Announcement of inventory tool (MyInventory), mostly of interest to grid operators/grid nauts

Melanie melanie at t-data.com
Thu Nov 15 17:34:26 UTC 2012

Hi,

On 15/11/2012 18:18, Snowcrash Short wrote:
> The scenario you describe here is exactly one of the primary use-cases I
> had in mind when creating this tool, the third input method is intended to
> make publishing content easier. Basically the third, and yet unimplemented
> feature, is intended to allow users to subscribe, either via a paid
> subscription service or free access, to one or more inventory content
> providers, the content will then be replicated to the users MyInventory
> instance, and from there it can be uploaded to the users individual
> accounts.

That is a great idea, too, and will ease access to free and open
licensed content. However, such a service would be responsible for
not distributing content that has no valid license for.

> I am definitely willing to listen to ideas on how to make this tool safer
> for grid operators, although the safe harboring provisions and DMCA
> policies should be enough for most instances. I don't think anyone can say
> anything for certain, since there is very little case law on the matter,
> but IMO a reasonable assumption would be that a grid can be seen as a
> service provider, thus making illegal content the responsibility of the
> user uploading the content, as long as DMCA provisions are in place.

DMCA applies in the US only. Other countries depend on existing
copyright law. This differs from country to country. Some place all
responsibility with the distributor or service provider, others with
users. Almost all require formal suit to be brought, which is not
feasible for a $0.10 item. However, nor suing can lead to a virtual
business being destroyed by 10s of thousands of such thefts because
the proliferation of the free copies makes the original, licensed
item unsaleable. Therefore, technological protection to prevent
"casual" copying need to be in place and the software needs to guide
the user to not export things that they have no permission to export.
The only way to make this in any way safe is to keep it closed source.

- Melanie