[Opensim-users] Announcement of inventory tool (MyInventory), mostly of interest to grid operators/grid nauts

Snowcrash Short snowcrash.short at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 17:18:20 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 4:26 PM, Fleep Tuque <fleep513 at gmail.com> wrote:

> A few things spring to mind as I'm reading the discussion and thinking
> about the proposed tool.  Like Marcus, I'm basing the following on a
> preliminary understanding of what the tool does, but can't have a truly
> informed opinion until we've seen how it actually functions.  Also, I am
> not a lawyer either, so insert all appropriate disclaimers here.
>

> First, I'm a freebie content creator who distributes all of my content
> with a CC license, and usually in IAR format since that is the only
> available format that reliably preserves textures, item contents, and
> scripting (Imprudence's xml export doesn't preserve item contents and
> texture corruption is more frequent than I'd like).  I've long wished for
> an option for non-grid operators to be able to upload IAR files, since
> right now, most of my content available from the web can't be used by
> anyone who doesn't have console access - which is a bummer for someone who
> wants to share her own content widely (and legally).
>
> The scenario you describe here is exactly one of the primary use-cases I
had in mind when creating this tool, the third input method is intended to
make publishing content easier. Basically the third, and yet unimplemented
feature, is intended to allow users to subscribe, either via a paid
subscription service or free access, to one or more inventory content
providers, the content will then be replicated to the users MyInventory
instance, and from there it can be uploaded to the users individual
accounts.

> While I absolutely 100% support content creators' need to preserve legal
> rights to their work, and do my very best to ensure that grids I manage
> have policies and permissions set to help enforce them, at the same time,
> it has been extremely frustrating to me that there are so many roadblocks
> in place for _legitimate_ asset distribution.  I make stuff to share, and I
> want people to be able to use it.  My legal right to share and distribute
> my work should be as important and high priority as the content creator who
> wishes to control access to her work, but the current combination of server
> and viewer architecture/permissions/policies seems to place a higher
> priority on the content creator who wishes to control access to assets.
>
> I understand why things have ended up this way; the legal issues are
> thorny and complex, and grid operators must always consider their legal
> liability, but I'm certainly interested in and would tentatively support
> tools that offer more options for the distribution of legitimate and
> legally licensed assets.  Right now it often feels like content creators
> who want to share their work freely are to some degree held hostage by
> content creators who don't, since grid operators and viewer developers
> alike are worried about legal liability and that trumps everything,
> unfortunately.
>

> Second, am I reading the proposal correctly that this would be an "opt in"
> service for grid operators?  I've re-read the initial email a couple of
> times and I'm not clear on that.  If yes, ie if grid operators need to
> explicitly include something in their configuration that would allow
> MyInventory to work, then I tentatively like the idea.  This would allow
> each grid to determine whether or not to participate and would presumably
> respect existing policies and permissions already in place. (Side question,
> have you been following Diva's work with the Hypergrid protocols around
> movement of objects between grids?  See
> http://metaverseink.com/blog/?p=459 and
> http://www.hypergridbusiness.com/2012/09/hypergrid-2-0-coming-soon-no-export-permissions/for more information.)
>
> I am definitely willing to listen to ideas on how to make this tool safer
for grid operators, although the safe harboring provisions and DMCA
policies should be enough for most instances. I don't think anyone can say
anything for certain, since there is very little case law on the matter,
but IMO a reasonable assumption would be that a grid can be seen as a
service provider, thus making illegal content the responsibility of the
user uploading the content, as long as DMCA provisions are in place.

The "My Suitcase" is only available if you run your own simulator, and as
such isn't really a solution to the inventory problem. IMO having the
inventory and backing assets stored on the grid makes sense in the LL
scenario, but as soon as things starts to move to an open grid this model
doesn't make much sense anylonger. The inventory needs to follow the user
and *not* the grid (except in specialized cases).