[Opensim-users] Announcement of inventory tool (MyInventory), mostly of interest to grid operators/grid nauts

Melanie melanie at t-data.com
Thu Nov 15 17:21:51 UTC 2012

Hi,

On 15/11/2012 16:26, Fleep Tuque wrote:
> A few things spring to mind as I'm reading the discussion and thinking
> about the proposed tool.  Like Marcus, I'm basing the following on a
> preliminary understanding of what the tool does, but can't have a truly
> informed opinion until we've seen how it actually functions.  Also, I am
> not a lawyer either, so insert all appropriate disclaimers here.

As I read it, it has at the very least the functionality of Second
Inventory.

> First, I'm a freebie content creator who distributes all of my content with
> a CC license, and usually in IAR format since that is the only available
> format that reliably preserves textures, item contents, and scripting
> (Imprudence's xml export doesn't preserve item contents and texture
> corruption is more frequent than I'd like).  I've long wished for an option
> for non-grid operators to be able to upload IAR files, since right now,
> most of my content available from the web can't be used by anyone who
> doesn't have console access - which is a bummer for someone who wants to
> share her own content widely (and legally).

A .iar uploader that uses a user connection would be a fine tool indeed.

[...]

> Second, am I reading the proposal correctly that this would be an "opt in"
> service for grid operators?  I've re-read the initial email a couple of
> times and I'm not clear on that.  If yes, ie if grid operators need to
> explicitly include something in their configuration that would allow
> MyInventory to work, then I tentatively like the idea. [...]

The entries are to facilitate asset deduplication, however, the
proposed tool will work on any grid.

[...]

> Ideally, your tool would provide enough granular control that a grid
> operator could "opt in" to allow export or allow import or both or neither.
>  I might be 100% comfortable allowing content from my grid to be exported
> but not willing to allow imports because of the murky provenance of outside
> content.

This is not possible unless the code stays closed source. Open
Source allows to trivially remove such protections and copies of the
software with the protection removed will the be distributed to
people not otherwise capable of doing so, but who have the criminal
energy to copybot in a grand style. That would surely cause the
lawyers to play a role in the matter.

[...]

> Look forward to hearing others' thoughts as well.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> - Chris/Fleep

- Melanie